- The IEEE PES Region 10 Chapter Chairs Meeting (CC Meeting) for PES will be held 12th Nov Perth, Western Australia. US$200 for registration is expected from the Section. I will be putting a request for this towards the Section executive next month. Additional expenses will be partly paid by the Power and Energy Society and the rest has to be picked up by the attending delegate. Nirmal will be attending to represent our Section's PES Chapter.
- The 2012 Powercon planning is going on in full swing. Quotes from 4 PCO's are being assessed. This is being done in consultation with IEEE PES executives. 3 Locations have been shortlised. Within a few weeks time this should be finalized. The dates are likely to be the last week of October 2012. IEEE PES New Zealand North Section will be the lead technical chapter organzing this. We will be collaborating actively with IEEE PES South and Central. 15 months lead time is available. Concentration banking will be actioned especially for this Conference with all financial liability being undertaken completely by IEEE PES society. The General Chair and Treasurer will be able to get full financial indemnity to operate the Concentration account. The share of profits, if any, will flow into the section account at the end to be used for future use for PES Society activities.
- PELS Society have approved US $1000 for this year's activities. One of the significant events flagged has been part of the PES/PELS technical programme during the recently concluded R10SC Student/GOLD/WIE Congress facilitated by our section. A proportion of this will be passed onto the Auckland University Student Branch.
- Lectures and activities held under PES/PELS Chapter after our last meeting are listed as under:* Computer Applications in Power Systems, Prof. Noel Schulz, IEEE PES President Elect, Paslay Professor of Electrical & Computer Engineering, Kansas State University, Manhattan, Kansas, USA, 21 June 2011, 6-7:30pm. About 25 people attended. She is currently the IEEE PES President Elect (2010-11). It was very well received. Her visit was sponsored by EEA and the Department facilitated refreshments. No funding has incurred from this year's PES/PELS budget.
- Emerging Technology PES Presence in IEEE R10 Student/GOLD/WIE Congress (http://r10sc.auckland.ac.nz/) July 7-10, Auckland, New Zealand
A Power and Energy Emerging Technology session will be delievered on July 8, 2011 (Attached program lists details)
1)Integrating renewable energy into the electricity network---issues and solutions
Dustin Murdock BE ME Wisc-Mad
ABB New Zealand (R10SC Principal Sponsor)
2)Modern monitoring technologies for electrical integrity of generator plant assets at Mighty River Power
Anirban Dey BE NIT Silchar, MBA Baroda, CIGRE
Mighty River Power (R10SC Diamond Sponsor)
3)Trends in energy technology
Gareth Williams BE Auck
4)Appliances on the smart grid
Jeremy Stott BE(Hons) Auck
Fisher & Paykel Appliances
5)IEEE and smart grid
Dr Nirmal Nair BE Baroda, ME IISc, PhD Texas A&M, SMIEEE CIGRE
The University of Auckland