Child pages
  • Chair
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Date

Report

14/02/2013

The executive members of the Section had a meeting on 15 January. The main purpose of the meeting was to introduce Nitish and Nasser to their work in the Section committee. I addition, we discussed about the tentative Section meeting dates, briefly about the budget plan and how to proceed with the Section web page design project. More details on this will be discussed in today's meeting.

Chair's report report_23Nov 2012

Chair's report report_27Sept 2012

Chair's report report_19July 2012

Chair's report report_17May 2012

Chair's report report_29March 2012


Chair's report report_25Nov 2011

Chair's report report_29Sept 2011

Chair's report report_21July 2011

Chair's report report_19May 2011

SC2011 R10 issues

Website Specification

Chair's report report_31March2011

2010 NZ north section report

Date

Report

2/12/2010

  • First off I would like to thank all the members for their support in maintaining the activities (and at times even building upon) across all the Chapter/Affinity groups this year
  • One of our student teams won the 2nd spot in the IEEExtreme programming competion. 
  • REMINDER for the L31 activity completion reporting. Last Date is 20 Dec 2010 by R10. (IEEE Web Account Protection to be Applied to On-Line Officer Reporting Form. If you need to request an IEEE web account, please visit:http://www.ieee.org/webaccount)

Date

Report

12/08/2010

  • One of the action items  from our last section meeting was to update our link for section webpage to wiki. Reporting that it has been actioned.
  • REMINDER (DEADLINE) for the L31 activity completion reporting. 
  • Thanks to Peter for judging the best poster ofr University of Auckland Part IV research projects.
  • Kudos to Chuan-Zheng and his team for winning the  2010 R10 Exemplary Student Branch award (based on activities of 2009 academic year). This is the second time we are winning this which speaks of the quality and quantity of activities we deliver through the student branches.
  • ANZSCON Funding.  Section Executive approved upto NZ $ 250 for Loreen (one of our active section volunteers and past executive) to attend. Approved upto NZ$ 1000 for supporting Student branch volunteers attendance. Chuan-Zheng will present details of this request during his report.
  • Request from NZ Central Chair (Richard Harris):  "I am writing to you both concerning support for the Joint New Zealand Chapter Instrumentation and Measurement that was established earlier this year by Subhas Mukhopadhyay. I understand from Subhas that for a Joint Chapter across New Zealand  it is usual for the respective Sections to provide some start-up financial support in terms of a small cash grant. For our local Chapter we provided $500 in total so I am wondering if we can see fit to provide a total of $500 from across the three NZ Sections. I would propose a figure of $170 from each Section to be granted to the I & M Chapter if you were able to do so".   Committee's approval requested.
  • The student Representative of IEEE Region 10 meeting,  requested  to appoint a Student Activities Chair (SAC) and Section Student Representative (SSR) in our Section whose purpose is to boost and support Student Activities and help in fulfilling the goals of the Section for the students.  SAC is generally experienced member and student friendly volunteer from Section who is above student member grade.He is voting member and generally appointed by Section Chair based on his involvement into IEEE Section and SSR is generally very active student member of your Section and appointed by Section Chair with recommendation from Student Activities Chair and can be voting / non-voting member based on Section Chair¿s decision. He / She attend all the section meetings and aware the Section Ex-com with students interests / concerns and provides his/her recommendation. Since SSR is relatively new role, attached is the sample of job responsibilities for SSR . Detailed training for SSR will be available very soon. 
    • I have approached one of a Graduate Student Member for the SSR role and he has expressed interest to assume the position. View of the Section committee sought.

Date

Report

12/08/2010

  • One of the action items for me from our last section meeting was to circulate to all the Section committee members the Auckland University IEEE SB's financial proposal. Reporting that it was actioned and approved. Details will be shared by Chuan-Zheng during the AU SB report later
  • REMINDER for the L31 activity completion reporting. 
  • University of Auckland Part IV research project exhibition is scheduled for 17th September afternoon. Everyone is invited to attend. Details will be available from the ECE Dept website.  Our Section support a best poster prize. Need volunteer to judge this competition. 
  • On behalf of the eThe Section Executive has approved a request of upto a maximum of NZ $360 from Udaya Madawala towards registration of IAS Chapter Chair Meeting to be held in Penang, Malaysia between 22-23 Nov, 2010. The IAS chapter will be bearing the majority of the cost but inquired of all sections to extend a small partial support and this Section executive approved this on the basis of  an informal agreement that Udaya will continue to volunteer as the IAS Chapter chair for our section until at least the end of 2011, so that our IAS members can reap some benefit of this support.
  • The section has received a request from the Auckland University SB for some support towards attending ANZSCON. Chuan-Zheng will present details of this request during his report.
  •  Since this meeting is the second last before the end of this year, On behalf of the Section executive I would like to request the following:
    • We request the various Chairs to present the 2011 committee compositions by the AGM. This way problems can be made public early and the collective contacts of the current committee used to fill any gaps.
    • We request the committees to present first cut budgets for next year at the AGM. It is normal business practice to cut next year's budget at the close of the previous year and will enable the Treasurer to have the figures incorporated into the Section budget forms ready for the first meeting of 2011. There could be minor refinement of budgets at the Strategic Planning meeting, but not the ongoing discussions going into the third Section meeting. This will enable the various groups to focus immediately on their activities for the year and will assist in Section Committee meetings being shorter.

Date

Report

27/05/2010

  •  Our bid to hold the R10 meeting has been unsuccessful. 2011-2012 Region 10 Director,  Prof. Lawrence Wong has decided to have the 2011 Region 10 Meeting in Yogyakarta, Indonesia.  The date for the meeting is 5 (Sat) & 6 (Sun) March 2011. Anyways, I think we have extended courtesy by offering to hold.  Better luck in future perhaps...
  • The Section Executive has approved a request of upto a maximum of NZ $360 from Udaya Madawala towards registration of IAS Chapter Chair Meeting to be held in Penang, Malaysia between 22-23 Nov, 2010. The IAS chapter will be bearing the majority of the cost but inquired of all sections to extend a small partial support and this Section executive approved this on the basis of  an informal agreement that Udaya will continue to volunteer as the IAS Chapter chair for our section until at least the end of 2011, so that our IAS members can reap some benefit of this support
  •  EMB Lecture Suggestions indicated:
    • Hamid enquired about  Research Opportunities in Wireless Health-Communications Chapter  Lecture by Greg Pottie which was held in Christchurch could be conducted as DL here in Auckland (Cost is an issue and besides he is a DL of communication Chapter)
    • Ehsan Vaghefi, an EMB member in our section, has offered to organize a Vision engineering field (e.g. medical imaging, modeling of ocular tissue). (Can Hamid coordinate to arrange something which has less or no cost burden)?
  • Today we have proposals and presentations from Auckland University SB, GOLD and Incorporation Subcommittee. Will leave it to the Officers to elaborate on their plans. 
  • Received update of Joint IM chapter from Subhas Mukohpadhyay (NZ Central)
    •  Two members in the executive committee of the IM chapter are A/Prof. Rainer Kunnemeyer  (rainer@waikato.ac.nz) and Dr. Poul Nielsen (p.nielsen@auckland.ac.nz). They belong to IEEE North.
    • A workshop is to be conducted
    • Offer of Subhas to give a DL lecture here to NZ North members. 
  • I received an email from IEEE History Centre "According to our records, this year, 2010, your section is celebrating its 30th anniversary.   Significant anniversaries are often occasions to look back at your section¿s history and celebrate its heritage.  Collecting and preserving historical documents, and writing your history will provide your section with an institutional memory, so that future leaders can build on what has been accomplished before. The IEEE History Center encourages you to do these things, and has ways to help.".   My response was as follows

Date

Report

22/04/2010

  • The two sub-committees (Membership Advancement/Volunteer Recognition Subcommittee and Incorporation Subcommittee) have been formed.  Peter and Morteza will talk about the term of reference, volunteer members and plan of action later.
  • The budget and action plan for 2010 has been finalized.
  • IEEE I&M Joint Chapter Report from Central Section.Report-I_M-Inaugural.pdf
  • Section website update.

Date

Report

25/03/2010

  • This will be my second year volunteering as the Chair of NZN and I am looking forward towards all your support in maintaining the high level of Section activities that we have been delivering in recent years.
  • I attended the R10 meeting at Cebu, Philipines held on 27 & 28 Feb. Details are available from my notes [Nirmal_Notes_R10_Annual_Mtg_20100228.pdf] taken during the meet and http://ewh.ieee.org/reg/10/Reports/meetrep/meetrep2010.html. We also had our NZ council meeting there and the minutes are available from IEEE_NZ_Council_R10_20100228_Cebu.pdf
  • We put in a bid for hosting the 2011 R10 meeting in Auckland. There were 6 other competing bids. We are still awaiting the decision.
  • Two new Chapter/Affinity group volunteers in our Section Executive:  Tom Hughes (GOLD) and Valeriy Vyatkin (Computer Society)
  • During our first 2010 meeting I would like us to discuss on the 2010 Strategic Plan document, financial standing of the section & action plan for the 2010 Chapter and affinity group proposed activities.

Date

Report

27/11/2009

  • First off I would like to thank all the members for their support in maintaining the activities (and at times even building upon) across all the Chapter/Affinity groups.
  • The  2 meetings per year for EMB and PACE has been achieved for 2009.
  • One of our student teams won the 2nd spot in the IEEExtreme programming competion. ( http://www.ele.auckland.ac.nz/~ieee-student/news.php#ieeextreme) Thanks to all the IEEE volunteers from our section for proctoring and supporting the 24 hour event.
  •  New Zealand Council Chair:  Current Chair Andrew Bainbridge-Smith from NZ South is completing his term. Kevin has kindly agreed to volunteer as the NZ council chair  for 2010 and 2011.
  • On 23rd October  Michael and myself  judged the best Part IV project poster 2009 for AUT. Hamid helped co-ordinate the proceedings very efficiently.
  • REMINDER for the L31 activity completion reporting.(IEEE Web Account Protection to be Applied to On-Line Officer Reporting Form. If you need to request an IEEE web account, please visit:http://www.ieee.org/webaccount)
  • An year-end update from NZ Council Chair Andrew Bainbridge
    • 1. The on going problem around the Power Chapter (joint PELS and PES, 
      joint NZN and NZS) appears now to be resolved.
      2. The EMBS chapter (joint NZN and NZS) is still defunct and some work 
      is required.
      3. For some reason (and only in some quarters) the MTT chapter still 
      appears under the NZ Council.
      4. I attempted to run a NZ Video Competition for High School students 
      as a 125th Celebration, sponsored by R10 funding ($US600).  
      Unfortunately this event was a failure (with no submissions).  There 
      are also some issues around the funds from R10.  I will endeavour to 
      sort out these funding issues and see if they can be transfered into a 
      plan B arrangement.  Plan B, is to equally fund each section for their 
      125th events.  Therefore I respectively ask for a a one/two paragraph 
      description (a photo would be a bonus) for what you did as a section  
      to mark the 125th.  Kevin I will send you a report/poster which needs 
      to go up at the R10 meeting.
      5. Despite the failure of the aforementioned video competition, I 
      would be prepared to help in trying this again in 2010, if there is a 
      desire by the new Council.  It will be the 30th anniversary of NZN and 
      NZS.
      6. We still need to work out what we would like to do with respect to 
      the Teacher-in-service-programme.
    • NZ Council Bylaws draft is available here NewZealandCouncilBylaws-draft-v2.doc

Date

Report

8/10/2009

  • All the Chapter/Affinity plans are rolling on. These will be evident from the various reports that will follow in today's meeting
  • Region 10 GINI have extended us a possible support for USD 750 for NZ/AUS Student Chapters. The only requirment is for coming up with a proposal. The money needs to be disbursed by the end of this year.
  • We have been reminded again for updating our website. I suggest to address this in urgency. Committee's view on it?
  • The Student Branch Quiz went well. However, we are still looking for some proctor support for the 24 hour IEEEXtreme Programming competition. Volunteers from the committee will be really appreciated by the Student Branch.
  •  A gentle reminder to update the L31 activity completion reporting.(IEEE Web Account Protection to be Applied to On-Line Officer Reporting Form. If you need to request an IEEE web account, please visit:http://www.ieee.org/webaccount)
  • Request of $200 from Adnan Al-Anbuky for the talk by Professor Koichi Asatani. (ComSoc Fellow)
  • Spliitting of PES/PELS chapter from South approved. We will now have an independent NZ North PES/PELS chapter in our books. The accounts for this new Chapter will be maintained by the NZ North Section.
  • Peter Over, our Vice-Chair would like to report that the Consultant Database annual mailout per the Section Budget, has been completed.

Date

Report

6/8/2009

  • It is my pleasure to report that Hamid has been successful to arrange 2 events for our EMB chapter members.
    • The first one is a joint event with IBTec deliverd by Hans Crezee titled 'Hyperthermia: Heat as a cancer treatment' which will be held on Monday 17th August, 2009 at AUT
    • The second one will be from Krikor Ozanyan a specialist from the Sensors Chapter who is visiting New Zealand for the Sensors'09 Conference to be held in Christchurch. The seminar will be on 'Tomography of Dynamic Subjects: From Species-Selective Imaging to Patient Monitoring' . The date is 4th November evening at 4pm. The executive on behalf of the North Section Committee approved this 'extra-ordinary' expenditure to facilitate the activation of the EMB chapter.
  • The executive approved an additional $NZ 300 on top of the already approved $NZ 750 to meet the expenses of Chuan-Zheng's attendance to the Student Congress in Singapore.  The air-fare was pretty steep which required this support from the section. Please note that IEEE R10 has also given USD $500 as support.
  • I am also happy to report that the Student Branch efficiently planned and executed the 2009 Practice Interview session. My kudos to Chuan-Zheng and his great team of volunteers. I did attend the drink/nibble closing session at the end. Got positive feedbacks from the student participants and specially from the Industry interviewers.
  •  Prof. Adnan Al-Anbuky for AUT has requested our section support for 2 items:
    • Request of NZ $500 Financial support to host  a lecture on "Organic Computing" from Prof. Dr. Ing Christian Muller Schloer visiting University of Otago. Robert Amor has agreed to partially extend his funds from Computer Society chapter DL budget allotment. Our Executive is also ok with it as long as we all stick to our agreed budget. We have not decided on the exact amount that we are ready to support.  Adnan will work out the exact expense and support that he is likely to get from AUT and other sources.
    • Letter of support from our Section was sought for the proposed APCC and ATNAC conferences in November 2010. Kevin has agreed to be in the organizing committee. Comments from the committee on the kind of support we can extend welcome....
  • In connection with requests for DL, let me just update you that two Chapters so far, (PES and CS), have indicated stopping financial support for their DL's for this year. Obviously, this could have been necessitated because of the financial crunch. I would suggest that we tread carefully before committing anything in the future. Morteza will share with us about our current financial postion during the Treasurer's report.
  • R10 has reminded us to update our Section web-page. We need to sort it out.
  • Article about our Student Branch in R10
  • One of the IEEE presidential candidate has sent me an email sharing the views on his candidature Roberto_de_Marca_2010.pdf
  • R10 has informed me of the asking all volunteers of our section to fill in their activity report(L31) online for completed activties.
  • Peter Over, our Vice-Chair, will now deliver a 10 minutes Refresher on DL Policy that is expected to be followed by our volunteers.Welcome Letter.doc

Date

Report

28/5/2009

  • Still looking for someone to represent PACE.  Thoughts of the committee, welcomed, to carry out a joint activity that could be flagged as a PACE event.
  • Have been able to get support of USD 500 from R10 to support the University of Auckland Student Branch Chair's travel to Singapore for the student congress ( IEEE 125th celabrations). This funding is due to GINI efforts that our SB has been involved with.
  • Our Section Rebate + Section Congress Subsidy for travel (USD 1500 for reimbursement + USD 1000 for R10 Section) has been received. More details will be shared in the Treasurer's report.  Our four Chapter + one affinity group GOLD have received their activity bonus. Since no activity has been reported for EMB, we did not receive any bonus for it.
  • EMB Chapter Activation Update (to be discussed during the meetinig)
  • Article about our Student Branch in IEEE Potential UoA SB Potentials.pdf

Date

Report

23/4/2009

  • One of the action item that I agreed to take upon after our last meeting was finding someone to represent PACE. I have not been able to get any one interested. I will really appreciate if any of you have any suggestions.  Further, from R10 HQ I received notice regarding reactivating EMB chapter.  Sam helped me get the contact details of the EMB members in our section and I have sent an email requesting representation in our Committee to address the needs of the Chapter members. To date, I have not received any reponse or comments from any of them.
  • Myself and Morteza have now got access to be able to add to the wiki. For this meeting I have uploaded all the reports and documents. Hopefully, during future meetings the respective Chapter and affinity chairs will  contribute towards adding their reports.
  • Most of the affninity groups and Chapters have submitted their 2009 budget request following our Strategic Meeting. These requests (GOLD, UoA SB, AUT SB & WIE) are posted in their respective wiki reporting pages.
  • The IEEE 125th R10 Student Congress is to be he held in Singapore between 16-19 July 2009. Chuan Zheng has expressed his interest to attend. R10 requried the expression of support  to be relayed by the Section before 12th April.  It was decided by the executive to extend support of NZ $750 with a request for funding of the rest from R10. The committee might be aware that last year we supported both the Student and GOLD chairs to attend. At that time we had decided that it should not be considered as a precedent. I would like to discuss the merits and support for future requests and the value the committee feels for such visits.
  • Morteza has compiled all the requests, received to date, together in our Budget Performance XCEL sheet. This is available from the finance wiki page. During this meeting we need to discuss and agree upon this budget. The following issues could form the basis of arriving at a consensus:
    • 1.      Is the Section able to afford this spending?
      2.      If  the answer to 1 is 'Yes', will this set a basis for future expectations?
      3.      Is the level of expenses sustainable in the future?
      4.      Are the budget expectations and spending plans across the Affinity/Chapters fair and calibrated in comparison with each other?

Date

Report

26/3/2009

This will be my first year volunteering as the Chair of NZN and I am looking forward towards all your support in maintaining the high level of Section activities that we have been delivering in recent years. I attended the R10 meeting at Hanoi, Vietnam held on 28 Feb, 1 March. Details are available from my notes taken during the meet and http://www.ewh.ieee.org/reg/10/Reports/meetrep/meetrep2009.html
During our first 2009 meeting I would like us to discuss on the 2009 Strategic Plan document, financial standing of the section & action plan for the 2009 Chapter and affinity group proposed activities.

Date

Report

27/11/2008

This will be my last report as Chair, and I would like to take this opportunity to thank you all for your amazing efforts during my period of tenure. It is great to see the Section going from strength-to-strength, and I certainly wish the new administration all the very best for the future. I would also like to especially acknowledge the efforts of our student branches and WIE group for providing such a wonderful programme of activities! All the best for the future! — Michael.

9/10/2008

9/10/2008

Michael Neve will be attending the IEEE Sections Congress from 19/9/2008 to 22/9/2008 in Quebec City, Canada. At this event a number of caucus issues will be decided on for consideration by the IEEE Executive. NZ North has proposed "IEEE should devise a mechanism to arrest exchange rate fluctuation. At present the entire burden of exchange rate fluctuations falls on the sections outside the US. The rebate component of the membership dues should be fixed at some nominal value in the local currency."

  • No labels