The University provides file storage which is accessible on all University computers. Off-campus access is also available.
The use of file storage is subject to the terms and conditions as described in relevant IT Policies.
- Log on the WINDOWS computer.
- Double click on the My Network Share icon on the desktop.
- If the icon is not on the desktop then follow the steps below
- Go to My Computer
- Type or copy the following in the address bar: \\files.auckland.ac.nz\Myhome
- If authentication is required, in the credential window enter in your information (uoa\username and Password)
- You should now see your MyHome folder.
- This is your student storage where you should be saving all your work.
Files from undergraduate students home drives will be archived 18 months after the end of their enrolment and then automatically deleted 18 months later. Please ensure you copy any files from your home drive before you leave the University.
- You can access file storage from off campus at https://homeweb.auckland.ac.nz.
- Files that have not been accessed (read or written to) for more than 36 months will be archived to tape.
- Archived files will be greyed-out (off-line), double-clicking the files will initiate the retrieval process.
- Unix and Mac users will not see greyed-out files, as these systems do not recognise off-line status. However, clicking on these files will also start the retrieval process.
- The retrieval process will be queued base system so depends on the size of the queue when a file is requested.
Use this Mount MyHome icon on your dock:
If the icon isn’t on your dock you can also install it by going to Self Service and searching for MyHome
If the the above is not possible, follow this steps to mount MyHome
- In Finder, Click on GO at the top menu
- Choose Connect To Server
- In the Server Address - type smb://files.auckland.ac.nz/MyHome & click on Connect
- Login using your uoa\username and Password if required
- Click on Connect
- Your personal MyHome folder will Mount on the desktop screen
- If you do not see your MyHome on your desktop, enable the Connected Servers in the Finder Preferences
- Once MyHome is displayed on the desktop, right-click to create an alias shortcut (MyHome alias) on the desktop, or drag it to the right-hand side of your dock bar. Add any folder to the Favorites if required.
Free unlimited Google Drive
All enrolled students are provided with a free unlimited Google Drive, which is retained perpetually, ie, even when no longer a student at the University.
The username for a student Google Drive is (username)@aucklanduni.ac.nz.
Accessing your Google Drive from University computer labs through Kumo (Windows computers only)
Libraries, information commons and most faculty computer labs will provide easy access to cloud storage as a network drive in Windows Explorer from shared University computers, from 24 February 2016. After an initial setup at first login on a University computer, you will have access to your Google Drives. These Kumo instructions will guide you through the initial setup process.